Who do you want to target for more business this year?
Who is an ideal potential new client?
What is your plan for developing those relationships?
It’s a fact!
People who set goals and have a written business development plan outperform those who don’t—even in a down economy. The secret lies in asking yourself the right questions, writing down your answers and following through with your commitments.
If you haven’t proven this to yourself yet or you know it works but need a jolt to get you going, this is your chance to get a Jump Start on making more rain in 2014. Based on the system I use with my clients at the beginning of each year, I am pleased to share this planner with you.
Until next time,
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Raising the Bar
Rainmaker Jump Start Planner For Professionals
This fill-in-the-blank exercise should take a half hour (or less) to complete.
(If you would like a Word version, email me.)
1. I will complete this form within ___________ days. (I suggest that your goal be within 7 days. Pend this on your calendar now to check yourself in 7 days. RTB will even send you a reminder in 7 days to remind you of your commitment to yourself. Note: If you have not completed this form by then, you just may need a coach or a partner to hold you accountable so that you will complete the form and review it at least weekly.)
2. My three primary target clients for this year are:
3. For each most important prospective or existing client fill in the following:
4. The advances I will work toward during phone calls or meetings are:
5. I will ask _________________, my primary contact at _______________ (client firm), to introduce me to two new people who work for that same client firm. (This is designed to expand your contacts with an existing client.)
6. I will reduce my reliance on __________________ (client) from ____ percent of my revenues down to _______ percent.
7. I will conduct ______ (number) client satisfaction interviews with my clients this year. I will start with clients (list at least three) ___________, ____________, and ____________ in the first quarter; and (list at least two) ________________ and ______________in the second quarter. I will do these in person.
8. I will meet with _____ (number) prospective clients this quarter. These are people I know, but for whom I am not doing any business.
9. I will devote ____ hours to marketing and business development each week of this year. I will diligently keep track of the time I invest in this area.
10. I will meet with _________ (number) people in my network each quarter of this year. I will start by meeting with ______________, _________________, and _____________.
11. I will meet with _____ (number) of my partners each quarter of this year. I will start by meeting with __________ by February 1, ____________ by February 15, and ________________ by March 1, etc.
12. I will meet or speak with ____ (number) referral sources each quarter of this year. I will start by calling _________________ by January 30. The questions I will ask are:
13. I will write ____ articles this year and place them in publications that my clients read. My target publications are ______________________ and _____________________.
14. I will speak ___ times during the year at industry or trade conferences where my prospective clients congregate. (Related questions: Where am I currently scheduled to speak and on what dates? How do I get on the agenda for those conferences? Do I know the name of the chair of the speakers committee? If not, can one of my clients or partners make an introduction or sponsor me as a speaker?)
15. I will learn the following new skills this year that will increase my value to the market. (For instance, I will learn about capital funding in the biotech field to better serve the needs of my environmental clients. I will learn how to use LinkedIn so I can better communicate with my referral sources.)
16. I will call dormant clients ______________ and _______________ by _______(date) to ask them if they would like to receive the firm newsletter; or ask them to join a group/organization or speak to a group to which I belong.
17. My accountability partner to achieve the above is ____________________________.
We will talk by phone at _____________ a.m./p/m. each _____________(choose a day of the week).